In 1819 in Nagoya, Japan, the Tomita family, founders of modern day Toho Technology, saw a new business opportunity and began distribution of imported American dry goods into feudal Japan. As markets and society changed, the business operation also evolved taking advantage of economic growth in land development, raw materials and commercial industries. In the first 100 years, the company expanded operations and continued to meet the growing need for newer products and innovative solutions. In the mid-20th century Toho emerged as a distributor and manufacturer of industrial electronics and new technologies with a foundational relationship with Hitachi and other local electronics manufacturers.
In the latter years of the 20th century, Toho diversified operations to include manufacturing of various industrial electronics, factory automation systems, building systems, industrial contract manufacturing operations and clean technologies to meet the market demands in micro-electronics, automotive and industrial market segments.
Toho started its Metrology and Wet Process business in the 1980’s and shortly thereafter, broadened its product portfolio to include wafer cleaning and inspection equipment. Since the late 1990’s Toho’s processing and inspection businesses have been further enhanced with consecutive acquisitions and technology transfers from leading American Fortune 500 companies like KLA-Tencor, Nanometrics, Zygo Corporation and other global leaders in industrial technology.
Expanding Our Reach
As in the past, Toho continues to dynamically grow and develop new business operations in mature and emerging markets. New businesses have been expanding in China since 1994 and in the United States since 2001 with the establishment of Toho Technology Inc. in Chicago Illinois. Recent operations have been established in Korea, Taiwan, Singapore and Indonesia as opportunities in Asia continue to expand.
Looking to the Future
Toho Technology is committed to meeting global demands for extremely sophisticated and reliable technological solutions in a wide variety of industrial markets. To fulfill this need, Toho Technology continues to aggressively invest in new operations and technologies that will meet the challenges of tomorrow.
• Toa Industries established in Nagoya, Japan (first entry into technology markets)
• Industrial and Consumer Electronics operations divided into two companies
• Initiated Manufacturing operations for industrial electronics in Japan
• Established Engineering operations in group companies
• Began Multiplex Transmission device sales and manufacturing of TOLINE series
• Constructed new Headquarters building in central Nagoya, Japan
• Merged industrial and home appliance divisions
• Constructed and opened new Factory in Inazawa, Japan
• Established joint venture in China with regional government
• Concluded Technology Transfer from KLA-Tencor Corporation for Profiler systems for the Displays Market
• Established Toho Technology U.S.A. llc in Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.
• Established Shanghai Toho Technology Co., Ltd in Shanghai, China
• Established Toho Technology Co., Ltd in Shanghai Quingpu Industrial Park
• Concluded Technology Transfer from KLA-Tencor Corporation for Thin Film Stress Measurement systems
• Achieved ISO 14001 Certification
• Established Eastern HVAC Systems Co., Ltd. in Nagoya, Japan
• Opening of New Factory, Toho Shanghai East Technology Co., Ltd, Quing Pu, China
• Operations established in Toyota city, Japan and Tianjin, China
• Concluded Technology Transfer from Nanometrics Inc. for Thin Film measurement systems for the Displays Market
• Opened sales office in Suzuhou, China & Ogaki, Japan
• Established Design and Development center in Shanghai, China
• Operations established in Okazaki, Japan
• Operations established in Shiga Prefecture, Japan
• Tokyo Applications and Sales office opened in Akihabara, Central Tokyo
• Concluded Technology Transfer from Zygo Corporation for Optical Inspection systems for the Displays Market
• Operations in Singapore and Taiwan officially established
• Operations established in Korea, Wuxi, China, Guangzhou, China established
• Acquired Water Purification technologies featuring Electrolysis Cleaning systems
• Toho Indonesia established in Jakarta to serve industrial growth emerging markets
• Toho Technology Inc. re-incorporated and expanded
• Launched Distribution of Kramer Sonic Industries Scanning Acoustic Microscopy systems in North America
• Expanded Distribution of Medical Diagnostic Equipment in Japan
• Acquired leading industrial electronics manufacturer Yoshida Electric Industry Co. Ltd.
• Established Silicon Valley business development operation
• Launched Toho Automation Sales activity in the United States
• Expanded U.S. Sales Representation of Nanometrics Material Characterization products
• Tripled size of U.S. sales office with move to new commercial loft facility in Chicago.
• Acquired Daito Mitech, maker of x-ray imaging software and process equipment.
• Concluded distribution agreement with U.S. OLED equipment maker, Kateeva.
• Acquired ground-breaking technology license in rapid pathogen detection from U.S. medical technology corporation.
• Launched CERTUS, a new brand in the food safety industry.